2 the point on the celestial sphere toward which the sun and solar system appear to be moving relative to the fixed stars [syn: solar apex, apex of the sun's way] [ant: antapex] [also: apices (pl)]
- The highest point of something.
- the apex of the building
- The moment of greatest success, expansion, etc.
- the apex of civilization
- The topmost vertex of a cone or pyramid (in their conventional orientation).
- The pointed end of an object.
- the apex of a leaf
- The end of a leaf, petal or similar organ opposed to the end where it is attached to its support; the tip.
moment of greatest success, expansion, etc
in geometry: topmost vertex of a cone or pyramid
Apex may refer to:
- Apex of the heart, the lowest superficial part of the heart
- Apex (mollusc), the tip of the spire of the shell of a gastropod
- Apex (headdress), a pointed piece of olive-wood, the base of which was surrounded with a lock of wool, worn by Roman priests
- Solar apex, the direction that our solar system travels through in our Galaxy
- Apex (radio band), an experimental very high frequency radio broadcasting system
- Apex (racing), the point a car should touch on the inside of a turn when following a proper line
- Apex (geometry), the highest vertex in a polyhedron or geometric solid
- Apex (diacritic) is a sign used by the Romans to mark long vowels
- Apex (botanical) is the Apical meristem or its remnant on a flower
- Apex predator
Apex is the name of:
- Apex, North Carolina, a town in the United States
- Apex (Niaqunngut), a community on Baffin Island, now part of Iqaluit, Nunavut, Canada
- Apex Digital, a California-based electronics manufacturer
- Apex Digest, a Kentucky-based science fiction magazine
- Apex Stores, a Rhode Island-based department store chain
- Apex Records (Canada), a record label of Compo Company
- Apex Theory, an alternative rock band.
- A supervillain on the TV show Portal
- Vympel R-23, an air-to-air missile (NATO reporting name "Apex")
- Apex (altitude physiology expeditions), a high altitude medical research charity.
- Apex Clubs of Australia, an association of young individuals, who seek to serve their local community and promote community spirit.
APEX may stand for:
- Asian Professional Exchange
- APEX system (Additive System of Photographic Exposure), a system of exposure calculation based on Ev units, or stops
- Atacama Pathfinder Experiment, a radioastronomical project in the high Andes in the north of Chile
- Association of Professional, Executive, Clerical and Computer Staff, a British Trade Union
- Oracle Application Express (APEX), a free Oracle software development system
- Arrayed Primer Extension (APEX), a genetic resequencing method for rapid identification of mutations
apex in German: Apex
apex in Esperanto: Apekso
apex in French: Apex
apex in Japanese: エイペックス
apex in Dutch: Apex
apex in Russian: Апекс (значения)
apex in Slovak: Apex
apex in Ukrainian: Апекс (значення)
L, Olympian heights, achievement, acme, aerial heights, alveolar ridge, alveolus, angle, apogee, arytenoid cartilages, attainment, back, bend, bifurcation, bight, blade, brow, cant, cap, capstone, chevron, climax, cloud nine, coin, consummation, corner, crank, crescendo, crest, crook, crotchet, crown, culmen, culmination, deflection, dizzy heights, dogleg, dorsum, edge, elbow, elevation, ell, eminence, ether, extreme limit, extremity, fork, furcation, hard palate, heaven, heavens, height, heights, high noon, highest pitch, highest point, hook, inflection, knee, larynx, last word, lift, limit, lips, maximum, meridian, mountaintop, nasal cavity, ne plus ultra, no place higher, nook, noon, noontide, oral cavity, palate, peak, pharyngeal cavity, pharynx, pinnacle, pitch, point, pole, prime, prominence, quoin, raise, realization, ridge, rise, rising ground, roof, seventh heaven, sky, soft palate, speech organ, spire, steep, stratosphere, summit, swerve, syrinx, teeth, teeth ridge, tip, tip-top, tongue, top, ultimate, upmost, upper extremity, uppermost, uprise, utmost, vantage ground, vantage point, veer, very top, vocal chink, vocal cords, vocal folds, vocal processes, voice box, zag, zenith, zig, zigzag